- Bonding Agents
- Coatings, Primers & Sealers
- Curing & Hardening Compounds
- Epoxies: Low Viscosity
- Epoxies: Epoxy Repair Compounds
- Epoxies: Trowel Grade
- Fiberglass System & Shapes
- Grouts: Cementitious
- Grouts: Epoxy
- Grouts: Polymer
- Grouts: Polyurethane
FX-821 MMA Liquid Polymer Crack Sealer
FX-821 MMA was used in the following case studies:
FX-821 Crack Sealer is a very low viscosity, low surface tension, rapid curing reactive methacrylate resin formulated to penetrate, repair and seal cracks in concrete substrates.
- Fast curing (1 hour)
- UV resistance
- Weather and aging resistant
- 2 component
- Compatible with other methacrylate systems
- Protects against water and chloride ion ingress
- Can be used at temperatures ranging from 41 to 104°F.
WHERE TO USE:
- Bridge decks
- Parking Structures
- Civil engineering applications
- Penetrating flood coat sealer to prevent moisture and ion ingress into substrate
- Interior, Exterior & Horizontal
10 - 25
Elongation at break
Hardness, Shore D
Water Absorption, %/24hrs
- Inspect the concrete substrate before preparation. Note the location of surface cracks and the presence of contaminants. Concrete surfaces must be dry and free of dust, dirt, oil, was, curing compounds, efflorescence, laitance, and all other bondbreaking materials.
- Inspect the underside of the deck for signs of leakage due to full depth cracks.
- Check weather forecast to ensure dry conditions. Wet substrates must be allowed to dry prior to beginning work.
- Using a dust-free, mobile shotblaster or grit, brush-blast the substrate to expose surface cracking.
- Do not use wet preparation methods.
- Perform a second inspection, noting newly-found surface cracks. Mark these for pre-treatment. Clean out cracks and the deck surface with oil-free compressed air.
- FX-821 is applied as a flood coat in a gravity-fed process by squeegee or roller.
- The contents of the mixed batch should be immediately poured onto the substrate and worked into cracks by distributing with 1/2" to 3/4" (13-20 mm) nap solvent grade rollers or broom. Do not allow material to pond. Application rate is 100 sq. ft per gallon.
- Do not allow the mixed batch to remain in the mixing vessel. It is advisable to randomly broadcast a 30 mesh, dry aggregate into the wet, uncured resin at the rate of approximately 4 lb per 100 sq.ft.
- Working time for FX-821 is between 10 and 15 minutes once it has been applied to the substrate. Full cure to specification will be between 1 and 2 hours.
PRE-TREAT WIDE CRACKS:
Cracks over 1/8" should be treated individually prior to deck application. Full depth cracks may require alternative treatment to prevent runoff of resin. Fill wider cracks with dry, 30 mesh silica sand. Mix a small amount of FX-821, pour into cracks and distribute with a paint brush. Squeeze bottles can also be used.
Allow one hour for FX-821 to gain full mechanical properties. Check for dry-to-touch condition. End results should be a darker-colored, matte finish with a minimal surface film and some loose broadcast aggregate. Open to traffic.
One bottle of B Component (initiator) is mixed with 1 gallon A Component ( MMA Resin). Open Component A and put Component B (initiator) liquid into Component A container (one 120 gram bottle of B for each 1 gallon of A, or five 120 gram bottles of B for each five gallon unit of A). Mix until clear about 2 - 3 minutes with a low speed drill and FX-Mixing Paddle.
100 sq. ft. per gallon. Coverage may vary depending on number and volume of cracks as well as porosity of concrete.
1 gallon (3.8 L) , 5 gallon (18.9 L) units or 53 gallon (20 L) drums.
6 months. Product must be stored below 80°F to prevent polymerization of liquid and loss of activity of initiator.
Store in cool, clean, dry area. Keep out of direct sunlight. Maximum storage temperature is 86°F. Store in original and unopened container.
DANGER! FLAMMABLE! "A" Component contains Methyl Methacrylate. "B" Component contains Benzoyl Peroxide. Use only with good ventilation. Avoid inhalation of vapor. Prevent all contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling. Keep containers closed when not in use.
FIRST AID IN CASE OF CONTACT:
If contact with skin occurs, wash immediately with soap and water, and contact a physician. If contact with eyes, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician. Wash clothing before reuse and discard contaminated shoes.
WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, GOGGLES, GLOVES AND/OR BARRIER CREAMS.
FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN. 8/2012